By Pharm Nathan Ohiomokhare
Mrs Nkemdilim has been wearing a mask every time she leaves home since March 2020 when it dawned on her that the pandemic was real. She does it because she stronly beleives it is essential.
Nowadays being considerate to others for the common good is mocked as "living in fear". But this needs to STOP!!!... When you wear a mask over your nose and mouth in public and in the offices,stores, Supermarkets, Pharmacies, Offices it is necessary to appreciate that :
1) You could be asymptomatic and still transmit the virus. (i.e you may show no symptoms but you still carry the Corona Virus and pass it to others)
2) Wearing a mask does not in any way imply that you are living in fear. In fact it implies bravery, a sense of responsibility, and a consideration for others health and safety. It shows you just want to be part of the solution and not the problem.
3) Wearing a mask in no way implies that the government controls you. On the contrary it makes you a partner with government. You are in partnership with government to sustain the general well being of the citizenry. Wearing a mask makes you feel like an adult contibuting to the collective security of our society. You should teach others the same.
4) If we could all live with the consideration of others in mind, the whole world would be a much better place.
5) Wearing a mask doesn't make you weak, scared, stupid or even "controlled". It makes you caring and compassionate.
6) When you think about your appearance, discomfort, or other people's opinion of you, imagine a loved one - a child, a wife, a father, a mother, a grandparent, an aunt, an uncle or even a total stranger - placed on a ventilator, alone without you or any family member allowed at their bedside. Ask yourself if you could have helped them a little by wearing a mask.
SO WHAT IF I TAKE THE VACCINE:
Even after you take the vaccine: The Corona Virus is primarily transmitted via air droplets which travel a few centimeters into the air as we speak. Experts say the louder we speak the farther these droplets travel. Consequently the probability of the droplets infecting someone else in our viccinity is directly proportional to the distance between you and the next person. The farther they are from you the less the likelyhood that you or them will get infected should one of you be a carrier of the virus. Also the existence of a barrier reduces the likelihood of infection. Theae two points are the fulcrum of the global campaign to wear a mask and maintain social distancing. Its all about reducing probability of infction.
So If you get vaccinated against Covid-19 you will be immune but you could still be a carrier of the vaccine. The word "carrier" is deliberate and specific. It is a technical term used by public health experts to refer to someone who is infected with the Corona Virus but does not exhibit symptoms of the disease due to some form of passive or acquired immunity. But the person can still transmit the infection. This description of carrier may not sound such a big deal now but when you think of the scores of people involved in publIc cooking in Restautants, eateries, Bukkas, mama-put and those selling perishable foods like meat, fruits and vegetables in the markets you begin to get the bigger picture. Dont forget these people are constantly talking and communicating while they do their jobs and are less inclined to wear masks while they work.
Finaly, as you go out to work daily keep one popular saying in mind: "you're either at the dining table or you're on the menu". Wearing a mask puts you at the dining table. Not wearing a mask puts you on the menu, the Corona Virus menu.
Share this information with friends, groups and all your loved ones and lets make it a public health initiative.